[SPONSORED CONTENT] Property monitoring company Minut discusses how installing a noise sensor in your vacation rental villa can be an irreplaceable tool when it comes to maintaining a strong relationship with your neighbours and protecting your own short-term rental business.
The vacation rental industry grows constantly. Hosts may choose to manage their own properties or to go through property management companies to help them provide the best guest experience possible to their guests. Unfortunately, the growing success of the industry has caused a few drawbacks – such as the risk of unauthorised parties and the damages and costs associated with them.
Excessive noise has become a major concern for all hosts, with many of them choosing to use a noise alarm or detector to protect the peace of their community. Often found in apartment buildings, noise detectors will notify you as soon as an unauthorised gathering takes place.
However, the importance of using noise detectors is often forgotten in vacation rental villas sporting outdoor areas such as pools, gardens or terraces. Here’s why you should keep an eye – or rather an ear – on these spaces.
1. Sources of noise specific to a vacation rental villa
All vacation rental properties are at risk of encountering the following common noise disturbances:
- People talking too loudly
- An excessively loud television
- Doors slamming a bit too frequently
- Barking from our four-legged friends
- Noise generated by home appliances at inconvenient times
Offering travellers the opportunity to enjoy a property with outdoor spaces where they can relax can unfortunately have drawbacks when it comes to the rest of the neighbourhood. On a warm summer evening or even during a winter outdoor event, guests may choose to spend more time outside, which can become an issue when they are inconsiderate or just simply forget about their surroundings.
In cases of excessive outdoor noise, there are no walls, doors, or windows to muffle voices or music. Similarly, a pool, a jacuzzi, or a barbecue area can quickly become the starting point for lively gatherings. In many cases, there’s just no way for neighbours to block out the noise – an issue that may open the door to conflict between you and your community.
Managing a vacation rental villa exposes guests to a new panel of noise complaints and issues – especially without noise alarms or outdoor noise detection in place.
2. Potential risks caused by outdoor noise
As a vacation rental house host, you are not immune to seeing your relationships with neighbours deteriorate. Regularly hosting noisy travellers can often have severe consequences on the quality of life of neighbours, and thus on the health and growth of your short-term rental business. Here are a few of them:
- Complaints made directly to your guests, which may impact the quality of their stay and cause them to leave a negative review
- Police intervention on-site
- Legal actions taken against you
Excessive noise can negatively impact your community if it isn’t managed appropriately. With unauthorised parties often occurring at unsociable hours, they may prevent your neighbours from resting at night, disturb their work schedules, and severely affect their health, but also work and social lives.
Unauthorised parties can also cost you thousands in fines and property damage each year, hence why your profits are likely to take a hit if you don’t effectively monitor outdoor noise.
3. Benefits of installing a noise alarm in a vacation rental villa
The Minut sensor allows you to monitor noise both in indoor and outdoor spaces. Weatherproof, it can be installed in your garden, terrace, or near your pool to ensure that all noise events are caught before they get a chance to escalate. And did you know that installing Minut only took about five minutes?
Thanks to its innovative Audio ID technology, the Minut sensor filters out background noise, such as wind or passing cars, to make sure you are only notified when you need to be.
With Minut, you can protect your vacation rental villa from unauthorised indoor and outdoor noise, excessive occupancy, and cigarette smoke – all through one device! Programme your Minut sensor as you see fit, with your preferred silent hours and sound level thresholds.
4. How our customers use the Minut noise detector to prevent outdoor noise
At Minut, we help hosts protect their vacation rentals from unauthorised parties and cigarette smoke in over 100 countries. Our guests have successfully installed Minut devices to protect their outdoor spaces and communities in thousands of properties.
Here are a few ideas of how you could use your sensor:
- Install Minut next to your pool area to pool-party-proof your rental, especially if your home is a desired location during the warmer months [such as our customers and friends at Omaio]
- Monitor your garden or patio by attaching your Minut sensor to a wall adjacent to your main outdoor area
- Prevent unwarranted complaints by proving whether noise did or did not occur in your rental properties, as our customers at MyGetaways do