US: Health and wellness hospitality company Getaway, which provides access to tiny cabins in nature-based destinations, has announced the opening of five new locations, or ‘Outposts’, and 224 new cabins in the Southeast, Northeast and Midwest by mid 2022.
The company, which has seen “explosive” growth over the past two years, is opening new Outposts near New Orleans, Minneapolis, Kansas City and Indianapolis and a second Boston Outpost, expanding its presence in the market where Getaway was born.
Outposts are collections of tiny cabins that are built by Getaway within a two-hour drive of major cities. These are designed with the comforts of home and rented out on a nightly basis, allowing guests to unplug from the stress of daily life and “reset”.
To date, Getaway has 16 Outposts with over 600 cabins located outside of Atlanta, Austin and San Antonio, Boston, Charlotte and Raleigh, Chicago, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Nashville, New York, Portland, Seattle, and Washington DC.
Details on each of the new Outposts are as follows:
- Getaway Homochitto [New Orleans]: Located under two hours from New Orleans and two-and-a-half hours from Baton Rouge, Getaway Homochitto is the company’s third Outpost in the Southeast, accommodating 40 cabins. With close proximity to the Homochitto National Forest, guests will have access to hiking trails and views of evergreens.
- Getaway Machimoodus [Boston]: Getaway Machimoodus includes 45 new cabins and is the company’s second Outpost in the Boston region. It is located in Connecticut, allowing guests to explore a new area and offering easy accessibility to guests in both the Boston and New York regions. The Outpost is nestled outside of a historic community within picturesque rolling hills and a dense forest with towering trees.
- Getaway Kettle River [Minneapolis]: Located just an hour and a half from Minneapolis, Getaway Kettle River is one of three new Outposts in the Midwest and will consist of 49 cabins. This site is bordered by Long Lake to the south and the Kettle River to the east.
- Getaway Ozark Highlands [Kansas City]: Located two and a half hours from Kansas City, Getaway Ozark Highlands is one of three new Outposts in the Midwest and will consist of 45 cabins. Each cabin is surrounded by large seasonal hardwood trees, and most cabins sit along the edge of the hill top with views of treetops.
- Getaway Brown County [Indianapolis]: Located under an hour from Indianapolis and also accessible to guests in Louisville and Cincinnati, Getaway Brown County is one of three new Outposts in the Midwest, with 45 cabins situated along the ridge top of a dense, deciduous hillside. The Outpost features seasonal streams feeding Hurricane Creek and lowland walking trails.
Getaway founder and CEO, Jon Staff, said: “At Getaway, we believe that free time is a right that should be made a ritual. Our cabins offer space for people to honour their free time, disconnect from work and technology and reconnect with their loved ones and themselves.
“Now more than ever, people are seeking short, frequent escapes to nature and focusing on their mental health and wellbeing. We look forward to bringing the Getaway experience to more people in new cities across the country,” he added.
As a travel destination that is naturally socially distanced, contactless and accessible by car, Getaway says that it has offered a respite for many people looking for a safe way to disconnect and escape during the pandemic.
In 2020, Getaway saw a 150 per cent increase in bookings year-over-year and nearly 100 per cent occupancy on its existing portfolio. This year, even as air travel returned and people began to take international trips again, the company reported seeing additional growth and expanded its footprint in the United States with Outposts near Chicago, Nashville and Seattle.
In February this year, the company closed a $41.7 million Series C funding round led by private investment firm Certares, with continued support from existing investors. The Series C raise took Getaway’s total funding amount to $81.8 million, following a $22.5 million Series B round headed up by Starwood Capital in June 2019.
With the new openings near New Orleans, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Indianapolis and Boston, Getaway will have a total of 20 Outposts nationwide, increasing its number of locations by more than 100 per cent since 2019.
Getaway said that it had selected New Orleans, Minneapolis, Kansas City and Indianapolis for its new Outposts due to “high consumer demand in the Southeast and Midwest”.