Worldwide: Airbnb has released a list of the top ten trending destinations for summer, in line with which towns and cities have experienced the highest growth percentage since last year.
The list is as follows:
- Valenciennes, France: A small town in Northern France, close to the Belgian border, that has plenty of wartime heritage despite many of its buildings being destroyed in the First and Second World Wars. Its most famous landmark is the Scarpe-Escaut Natural Regional Park.
- Changsha, China: Changsha is located centrally in China, as the capital of the Hunan province. Much of the city was burned down in the 1930s, however travellers can still visit the local Han dynasty tombs, lakes, mountains and the Xiang River.
- Matsudo, Japan: Even as a suburb of the Japanese capital, Tokyo, Matsudo is a trending tourist destination for Airbnb travellers despite not being the cheapest city for guests. The suburb is largely populated by commuters who head off to work on the country’s network of high-speed trains.
- Marigot, St. Martin: Marigot is the main town and capital on the western coast of the French collectivity of St. Martin, or Sint Maarten, in the Caribbean. Despite being heavily damaged by Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017, Marigot is experiencing something of a revival as it looks to rebuild its economy by capitalising on tourism over the summer.
- Wuhan, China: The central Chinese city of Wuhan is well regarded for its natural beauty and traditional street food scene and eclectic nightlife options. It is also the capital of the Hubei province and one of the nine National Central Cities of China, as well as being the most populous city in that region of the country.
- Dorado, Puerto Rico:
- Vieques, Puerto Rico:
- Rio Grande, Puerto Rico: These towns in Puerto Rico were also heavily damaged by Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017 but are gradually rebuilding. Their beautiful beaches alone make them worth visiting, as they look for tourists to help put money back into their local economies.
- Yeosu, South Korea: The seaside city of Yeosu brought global attention to South Korea when it hosted the World Expo in 2012, and its beaches, parks and aquariums continue to draw in tourists from all over the world.
- Bragg Creek, Canada: The final destination on Airbnb’s list of trending destinations for this year’s summer season is the town of Bragg Creek in Canada. Located near Calgary, it serves as the base camp for adventurers looking to scale the Rocky Mountains.
For more information on trending destinations, visit the Airbnb website here.