carbon monoxide
A carbon monoxide alarm

Carbon monoxide threat highlighted after actress poisoning

US: The dangers of carbon monoxide leaks have been highlighted after American actress Anna Faris and her family were rescued from a poisoning incident at a rental home in North Lake Tahoe last week.

Faris, who notably appeared in Scary Movie, and her 12 family members were saved by the emergency services after falling ill at the rental house, she revealed in a tweet.

She tweeted: ‘I’m not quite sure how to express gratitude to the north Lake Tahoe fire department- we were saved from carbon monoxide. It’s a stupidly dramatic story but I’m feeling very fortunate.”

The North Tahoe Tahoe Fire Protection District later maintained that the 43-year-old and her large extended family were “lucky to be alive”, with all family members reporting various degrees of symptoms shortly after sitting down for Thanksgiving launch.

Two family members went to a local hospital to be checked out before hospital staff identified the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and alerted the fire protection services to rescue the remaining family members.

The North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District told FOX40 that the home had an indoor carbon monoxide level of 55 parts per million, even though the windows and doors had been left open and there were no alarms inside the home. The maximum recommended indoor level of carbon monoxide is nine parts per million.

Mike Schwartz, head of the Fire Protection District, said: “We are so thankful to report that this holiday disaster was averted.

“Situational awareness is so important – whether you are at home or travelling, it is important to ensure that smoke and CO alarms are in working order anywhere you stay. It’s not a bad idea to consider bringing your own alarm when you travel, just to be safe,’ he added.

Carbon monoxide, which is often labelled as a “silent killer” for its invisibility and lack of odour, has becoming an increasing concern in short-term rentals in recent times. According to CBS Sacramento, 12 deaths have been recorded at rental properties this year.

The gas deprives the bloodstream of oxygen which can lead to slow suffocation and death if not treated quickly enough. Symptoms are known to include headache, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and breathing difficulties.

Be in the know.

Subscribe to our newsletter »